The world is undergoing a seismic shift. Fear is the predominant emotion rippling through the world today. Fear of disease, fear of isolation, fear of loss, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Everywhere you look there is fear but here is the thing that anyone aspiring to succeed in online marketing NEEDS to know.
You can only make the transition from average to extraordinary if you can find a way to fight through the fear and step into your own power.
The question I guess that we all need to ask ourselves is this:
Have you ever been so afraid of failing at something that you decided not to try it at all? If the answer to the question was yes, then what was the impact?
I think all of us have experienced this feeling at one time or another. The feeling stops us in our tracks, it paralyses us and stops us from moving forward. Progress halts, mental health is harmed and wonderful, life changing chances are missed along the way.
How would you feel in 50 years time if you had let life pass you by? All because you let fear control your life and choices.
So Where Does This Fear Come From?
The first step towards controlling fear of failure is recognizing how we define it. The things we define as failure often have deep cultural and familial roots.
The approach by the society you grew up in has a massive impact on the emotion. And ultimately how much importance you let it have over your life. It is true to say that your upbringing and experiences all contribute to your view of failure. For one person a failure is simply a great learning experience. For someone else, it’s like the end of the world!
Fear of failure can be linked to many things
- Critical parents or spouses
- Unsupportive teachers and friends
- Traumatic or frightening experiences
- Letting a loved one or yourself down
There are all sorts of reasons that a fear of failure takes hold and the consequences can last for years.
So What Do We Do About The Fear Of Failure? How Can We Combat It?
One of the first things you need to to realize to control your fear of failure, is that you were born with an innate instinct to explore and try new things. When you were a baby the way you learned anything new was to try, fail, learn and try again.
You were an explorer. A creative, courageous, intrepid human being. You were rewarded for your bravery with every new step, word and skill!
The following are a few ways that can reduce the fear of failing:
- Do a little research. Many people find that their fear of failure comes from being afraid of the unknown. They are afraid of what might happen, afraid of what could be, of the action they will need to take. When you know what you are letting yourself in for then you can prepare and plan.
- Look at the worst case scenario. Sometimes you just need to think rationally about the worst thing that can happen. When you are about to step out of your comfort zone your mind can go crazy. Sitting down and thinking things through rationally can help your worst fears dissipate. And if they don’t then you can start to put a plan in place for if things don’t quite work out!
- Set Yourself Some Goals. Goals are essential to overcoming fear of any description. They give our lives purpose and set us on a clear path towards achieving success. Goals provide motivation and give you little boosts in confidence to help you overcome the fear of failure that may sweep over you and hold you back.
Overcome your fear to achieve success
The key to overcoming fear is to take things one step at a time and not to get overwhelmed. The world is changing, there is no doubt about it and as a consequence there will be opportunities and challenges along the way.
You need to get yourself into a position where you can look objectively at the things that are causing you fear. Tackle them in a way that lets you move forward and take action.
You mustn’t get stuck! Because once you get over your fear of failure, you will move forward with greater speed.
Fear of failure touches all aspects of online marketing as it prevents people from stepping out of their comfort zone. It stops them interacting with new people, of taking chances and from trying new ways and new things.
The time for change is now! The time to take action is now!
I have been very fortunate to build an online income over the past few years, if this is something you’d like to do too you can see here exactly how I make money from this blog.
If you enjoyed reading this blog post (a like would be appreciated!) here are some others that you may find interesting: